Originally, the land on which St. Philip Neri Parish was built was part of St. Matthew’s Parish of Conshohocken. Reverend Philip J Gallagher established a mission church in this area in 1921. Saint Philip Neri Parish was not formally established until September 12, 1945. Six years later, Father Anthony Doyle, the founding pastor, had the foresight to open the parish school. When it opened on September 4, 1951, it accommodated 138 students ranging from kindergarten to fourth grade. The Sisters of St. Joseph were committed to staffing the school and teaching the new students. An addition to the building in October 1954 allowed the school to accommodate grades five through eight. The first eighth grade class graduated in June 1956. Due to expanding enrollment, eight more classrooms were added in 1958.
Under the supervision of Monsignor Richard LaHart, a modular library was added to the existing building in 1991. By 1993, two more modular additions were made to accommodate an enrollment of 500 students. There were now two classrooms for every grade. The early childhood building opened in 1999, adding two more classrooms, one each for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten class. This opened up space in the original structure to offer a full-size computer lab and music room.
In 2008, the school underwent another expansion with the addition of a multi-purpose parish center, new library and new main entrance. Since its opening in 1951, Saint Philip Neri School strives to meet the growing needs of its students and provide a quality education for all.
3015 Chestnut St. | Lafayette Hill, PA 19444 | P (610) 828-3082